What is your garden style?
Do you have a future for your garden?
A garden can be anything from yards full of perennials and mulch, a dry creek bed with a few rocks and drought-tolerant plants to creating areas to entertain or places to imagine and move.
As landscapes mature, things change. Trees get taller, casting deeper shade and bushes outgrow their original places in the garden.
Then there is the home in which the lifestyles of its occupants change. Children grow up, eliminating the need for play areas (with exception to grandchildren) and caring for the home and garden may prove to be either more difficult as you age or, if retired, more energizing.
We consider these projects garden adjustments because they were not a complete rebuild. Sometimes there is a little hard landscaping involved and what little there was did not involve specialist skills, just hard work.
If nothing else, we think this shows the power that plants have to fundamentally change an outdoor space. What works for you and your yard.
- Grow flowers you like.
- Trees and shrubs, you like.
- Grow food you want to eat.
- Take care of the environment.
- Make it economical.
A great opportunity to learn form he best gardeners in Calgary & the Calgary Horticultural Society.
DESIGN YOUR YARD workshops at MAHOGANY BEACH CLUB
WORK SHOP#1 Tuesdays – April 9, 16 & 23 / 6:30pm-9:30pm
WORKSHOP #2 Thursdays – May 9, 16 & 23 / 6:30pm-9:30pm
Participants will learn:
- How to work through the process to develop a yard plan
- How to apply basic design principles and techniques for creating a beautiful, environmentally responsible, functional yard
- Basic graphic skills and plant knowledge
- How to calculate volumes of soil and mulch using online calculators and how to access available resources in the community (such as free mulch from the City)
- Best practices for irrigation of their yard How to select plants at a garden centre to fulfill their yard design’s requirements
Participants will need:
- Property dimensions – Real Property Report (RPR)
- Graph paper, ruler, pencil and eraser
- Wish list of requirements
- Photos for your wish list
- Suitable clothing for working outdoors
To register for the workshops go to https://www.calhort.org/
Two people residing at the same address who work on one-yard plan together may attend the workshop for a single workshop fee. Both names must be provided at the time of registration.